No products in the cart.
When it comes to health products, especially alternative health products, it’s important to know how they work. Delta-8 THC is surging in popularity, and you might be wondering how long the cannabinoid remains in your body. Truthfully, there’s no straightforward answer to this question.
When you’re wondering how long does delta-8 stay in your system, a few different factors can determine the time frame. But there are some ways to push the cannabinoid out of your body if it’s necessary.
What is Delta-8 THC?
Delta-8 THC is a cannabinoid, just like Delta-9 THC and CBD. However, Delta-8 THC is a degraded form of THC that naturally occurs in the cannabis plant in very small quantities. Brands usually obtain it by combining selective breeding and molecular isolation, but they can also synthesize it using chemical processes from CBD.
Similarities and differences between Delta-8 THC and Delta-9 THC
Because Delta-8 THC isn’t available in large quantities, it’s easy to wonder why brands go through the trouble of extracting it. After all, isn’t it the same thing as Delta-9 THC? They both sound just alike.
While it’s true that these cannabinoids have similar names, there are three main ways in which the two forms of THC differ: their chemical structure, molecular stability, and affinity for cannabinoid receptors.
Chemical structure: Both forms of THC have double bonds in their molecular chain. In Delta-8 THC, that bond is found on the eighth carbon chain, while in Delta-9 THC, the bond is on the ninth carbon chain. The difference in location of these bonds has a significant impact on the shape of the THC molecules, and that shape plays a massive role in how well the molecules bind to endocannabinoid receptors in your body.
Molecular stability: Delta-8 THC is more stable than Delta-9 THC. The latter is easily oxidized and becomes cannabinol (CBN) or Delta-8 THC. On the other hand, Delta-8 THC never breaks down to CBN, and it has a longer shelf life. This type of stability is ideal in a medicinal compound.
Affinity for cannabinoid receptors: Like Delta-9 THC, Delta-8 THC binds to the CB1 receptor when inhaled. This receptor is involved in the mediation of the psychoactive effects of THC. However, because Delta-8 THC has a different shape and molecular structure than Delta-9 THC, its affinity for the CB1 receptor is different. This slight difference in the binding may be why Delta-8 THC products provide a more clear-headed feeling and less anxiety than Delta-9 THC.
Despite their differences, though, both cannabinoids have therapeutic potential. In fact, while Delta-8 THC is a newer cannabinoid on the market, it may be just as soothing as Delta-9 THC and CBD.
What are the effects of Delta-8 THC?
A lot of researchers have conducted studies that look into the potential of Delta-8 THC for therapeutic purposes. Of course, research is still ongoing, but so far, results paint a positive picture.
- Anxiety: Anecdotal evidence claims that Delta-8 THC causes a calm, focused high, which may help reduce anxiety.
- Pain and inflammation: A 2018 study on mice found that Delta-8 THC may help reduce pain and inflammation associated with eye injuries. Another study on rats found that Delta-8 THC offered pain relief, but the subjects developed a tolerance to it very fast.
- Appetite: Delta-8 THC might be an appetite stimulant. A 2004 study on mice found that a dose of Delta-8 THC administered over 50 days resulted in a 22% increase in food intake. The research also reported that Delta-8 THC increased appetite more than Delta-9 THC.
- Nausea: In a study conducted over two years that examined eight children with cancer, researchers found that no vomiting occurred when participants took Delta-8 THC before and for 24 hours after cancer treatment.
These reported benefits showcase that Delta-8 THC may be a solution in various scenarios. And because it’s federally legal, all you have to do is find a credible brand that sells Delta-8 THC remedies to experience the cannabinoid’s soothing properties.
How long do the effects of Delta-8 THC last?
While there is no hard and fast answer about how long the effects of Delta-8 THC last, in general, the minimum is around five hours if you vape. If you use a tincture, edible, or spray, its effects could last up to seven hours, with the peak occurring between 30 minutes and two and a half hours after taking it.
However, how long the effects of Delta-8 THC last depends on your gender, health conditions, age, and body type. These, and many other factors, are also considerations when thinking about how long Delta-8 THC will stay in your system.
How long does Delta-8 stay in your system?
Cannabinoids such as CBD and THC bind to fat, meaning they take longer to leave your body. In fact, a study found that around 80-90% of THC leaves your system within five days via excretion. However, there may be trace amounts of THC in your body for an additional few days, so experts typically recommend a timeframe of five to 10 days.
But that isn’t a set rule. Various factors influence how long Delta-8 will stay in your system including the following:
- Frequency of use: This factor is a big one in determining how long Delta-8 THC will stay in your body. Experts suggest that, for first-time users, Delta-8 THC may remain in your system for about four days. Occasional users may have it for about a week, while frequent users will likely have it in their systems for a month or more.
- Consumption method: How you consume Delta-8 THC also affects how long it will remain in your system. When smoked or vaped, THC levels will reduce quicker than if the THC is ingested.
- Potency: The potency of THC is another determining factor. Potent Delta-8 products will remain in your system longer than low-potency remedies. For people worried about drug testing, using gentle Delta-8 THC products is a better option.
With these factors in mind, you can gain a better idea of how long Delta-8 THC will stay in your system. The length of time will be different for everyone, so try not to compare yourself to others.
Can you pass a drug test after using Delta-8 THC?
No matter the form, THC increases your risk of failing a drug test. In addition to purging the THC from your system, the type of drug test administered plays a role in whether the THC will cause a drug test failure.
For example, if you undergo an oral swab or blood test, you may be able to pass the drug test around three days after using THC. For hair follicle tests, you should abstain from THC for at least three months if you want to pass. With urine testing, which is the most common, you typically need to avoid THC for around five to 10 days before the test.
How can you reduce the amount of Delta-8 THC in your body?
Maybe you’re in a situation where you need to quickly remove THC from your body. In this case, there are five simple ways to reduce the levels of Delta-8 THC in your system.
- If you have an upcoming drug test, completely avoid all THC products.
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Drinking water is an effective way to help flush THC metabolites from your body.
- Eat foods rich in fiber and protein to help your body remove THC via urination and excretion.
- Get enough sleep, which will help improve your metabolism, which will, in turn, help you metabolize and get rid of the THC faster.
- Get in some exercise. Working out will help improve your metabolism, and sweating will flush out other toxins as well.
These strategies are the best natural ways to decrease the amount of THC in your body. But again, if you take drug tests for any reason, try to stay away from THC and use drug-test-safe CBD remedies. Kat’s Naturals sells plenty of these products that are just as soothing and therapeutic.
Be smart and be cautious
When it comes to using Delta-8 THC, be smart and use the cannabinoid only when it won’t cause any interruptions in your life. There is no set timeframe that THC stays in a person’s body. It varies from person to person, so if you are unsure, it’s best to err on the side of caution and simply abstain.
Be sure to sign up for our email newsletters to ensure you have access to the best Delta-8 products!